The Crown Inn, Lanlivery, Cornwall
A brief history of our pub . . .
The Inn was originally built during the 12th century to accommodate the masons and builders engaged to construct the original church. The church would have taken several years to build and commuting each day was not a practical option. The building is a traditional long house and the exterior walls are original. The large chimney and fireplace were added later as was the second floor. Originally it would have been one large room with a turf roof and a hole somewhere to let the smoke from the fire out. The church builders would have been given bed and board, and, as tea and coffee were not available at that time, a fermented brew known as ‘mash’. The surplus mash would be sold to the locals, and thus an inn was born.
It appears that until 1926 it remained an inn – belonging to the Kendall Estate and rented to Redruth Brewery. In this year it was sold together with the blacksmith’s shop, which occupied the far end of the building. Shortly after the sale, it was closed as an inn and converted to a private dwelling.
The blacksmith’s cottage became a butcher’s shop. It was at various times known as ‘Saxondale’, ‘Brae’ and ‘The Old Inn’ until 1975 when it was restored to its original purpose as a licensed premises.
We have been restoring, and are continuing to restore, the building to ensure much of the historical significance is retained for the future.